Monday, March 11, 2019

SPRING Cleaning



2019 American Exchange
Patricija Rimpo


I recently had the opportunity of a lifetime to go on the Limerick to Limerick American
Exchange in Philadelphia, which is organised every year for Transition Year students
here in Coláiste Chiaráin. I stayed with students from Springford High in their homes
for a 2 week period, during this time I got to see the school they attended, find out more
about what they do in their day to day lives and get to know American culture and their
environment.


While I attended their school I saw a lot of contrast between schools in America and
schools in Ireland. One of the very first differences I noticed was that they did not have
uniforms. Everyday pupils were allowed to wear their own clothes but the students
on the exchange had to wear a uniform they picked out themselves for the days that
we attended school. Another difference I encountered was that the school had a large
variety of clubs. From sports clubs such as basketball, volleyball, swimming and even
lacrosse to clubs that involved more creativity like theatre, music and art clubs.


Secondly, I paid a lot of attention to the schools and the general area to see what they
do for the environment. The streets were practically spotless. While driving around the
town of Limerick I did not see any areas of waste or plastic. The students told me that
there are volunteers who would sweep the streets of waste occasionally but usually it
was clean. Philadelphia has laws set out for the improper disposal of rubbish.


I also discussed with the students about what they did in their school regarding recycling
and environmentally friendly activities in general. I was disappointed to find out that
they did not recycle in their school and only had one type of bin for all waste. Although
they did not recycle inside the school, I noticed outside there were large green bins that
I assume were used for large recyclable materials by the janitors.

Overall, the experience was incredible and I had a great opportunity to really see what
the people on the other side of the world do to try and help our environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment